Sunday 27 September 2009

1000 Hours - One life to live


The man looking through this "Iraq Big Gun" is Dave Hill, he was he man that helped me fix my first "Moped" a rather knackered Yamaha DT50, I de-coked it and stripped one of the studs and then blew the head off it while on my way home in Purbrook, at the tender age of 16. If 30 years ago you would have said I would know Dave now I don't think I would have understood the significance of that.
I moved away from my home in Watford with a push bike and an attitude back in 1980 finding my feet during time spent working with Dave at a Pneumatics and Engineering business in Waterlooville. Positive role models were thin on the ground, but Dave was very different, postive, engauged and hilariosly funny. He was a surrogate Dad I suppose, certainly was while I worked with him in those early years.
Dave now spends his perpetual summers bounding between the UK and New Zealand every 6 months just living the life he and wife Mavis elect. He is a Grandad with a gold tooth and a passion for life and flight.
This weekend we flew to Duxford together and during that flight I passed my 1000th hour as P1 in a microlight, to spend my first working week and my 1000th hour with Dave was a delightful coincidence, and somewhat of an honour.
I am pleased to be able to say that Dave Hill is a friend of mine, and that is all you need....

No comments:

Post a Comment