Saturday 20 June 2009

Today I cried..


Dirk on the left is Goodstuff (Gustave) brother, I met him in 2007 at Swansea airfied after he was diagnosed with a brain tuma. When I first met him, becuase I knew of his illness I expected something different, I dont know what, may be some self pity, may be somone who was having phsical diffoulcty, the truth is I expected that people with Cancer seem to try hard to hang on....but wiht Dirk I metsome one who was completely at ease with who he was and what had happened to him. I can best describe him as being annoyed he has a brain tumor, but during those first flights around Wales and up to Ince I got to know him and understand just a little about his life.

Over hopeful is how I would decribe most people I knew with Cancer, but Dirk is not over hopeful but resigned to make the most of every chance that comes his way. So in 2006 he was diagnosed with the Tumor and Julie & He now have a beautful son Jack born on the 29th of Feb 2008 , and another child on the way.

Meeting him again today was a shock, he walks with Sticks and a Frame, and is or seems to be at one with the progressive nature of his tumor. " Its like someone is blowing bubbles in a milkshake in my head"

In planning todays flight we were worried about his fits and medication, a fit in an microlight would be life threaterning. But wiht Jonney's experence and planning a way was found.

I found myself with a tear in my eye, in part self pitty in part frustration that I did not meet Dirk earlier....

No comments:

Post a Comment