Tuesday 16 June 2009

Fly UK 2009 - Counting Down - Tuesday

Essential maintenance complete, oil changed new plugs, a good look over the trike and detailed look at the wing, check lists printed and laminated. A pile of camping equipment in the car is being slowly loaded into the car.

Completing my ICE documents tonight, I have to prepare for the worst and plan for the best. How do you plan to say good by to the kids? Like I might not see them again? or like I will see them next week? The truth is its no more dangerous to fly around the UK in a microlight than it is to travel to London in the car. So why to I feel differently about saying "see you later" on Friday night than I do when I rush off to work in the morning? What is it about flying that brings you to terms with your own mortality, when compared to taking the car to Tesco's (Whoops....Waitrose ;-)

"I began to feel like I lived on a higher plane thant the sketics of the ground; one that was richer because of its very assocation with the element of danger they dreaded, becuase it was freer of the earth to which they were bound.

In flying, I tasted the wine of the gods of whch they cound known nothing.

Who valued life more highly, the aviators who spent it on the art they loved, or these misers who doled it out like pennies through their ant like days?

I decided that if if I could fly for ten years before I was killed in crash, it would be a worthwhile trade for an ordinary life." - CSA




No comments:

Post a Comment